Friday, February 24, 2012

Hygge



The Danish have a word for it, Hygge, which translates to design that just feels good, that’s comfortable to live with.

This week I have gotten totally distracted with kitchen and lighting design.  So much so that all I could accomplish with my painting is the design of what I am going to paint next...  It will feature a scooter at the beach, this is a photo from the beach.  This photo is from a favorite foodie photography blogger that I follow called 'what katie ate'.  She is from Sydney Australia.  Her photos are gorgeous and unusual.




We moved into a new home a little over a year ago.   The only space I really don’t like in the home is the kitchen.  It is a large old fashioned room.  It’s best feature is a large box window with a wonderful garden view in the summertime. 



The rest of the kitchen however is rather dull.  I am finally ready to make some additions to the space to warm it up....to make it more hygge, as my adorable Danish husband likes to say.  The easiest way to make the most dramatic change is with the ceiling lights.  I want to add a dropped pendant over the kitchen table and some smaller ones over the kitchen island.   I have fallen in love with the mason jar lights that you see in the first photo above.  They are modern and historical all at the same time. The added bonus is that they are clever with a sense of humor.  I think I will give them a try. Stay tuned for before and after photos...




No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me your thoughts!